Saturday, August 21, 2010

Those Things - Part II

Some years later, around eleven years old, taking advantage of my brother´s absence and, as usual, breaking into his room to snoop around, I came across an edition of Sherlock Holmes stories and started reading them one after the other. My brother lent me then his Agatha Christie collection, but my passion for Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple would come much later, in my adolescence, when, curiously, Holmes didn´t seem that perfect, after all. Another great lesson: readers are constantly mutating beings.
Talking about passions makes me recall my forbidden ones. Like the one that started the day my father got home with an edition of Papillon by Henri Charrière. I was twelve years old. For about two days the only possible way to talk to him was during meals. He was completely absorbed by that book, and I was completely fascinated by the image of my dad reading a book whose cover reminded me of a butterfly. He was absolutely unplugged from the outside world.
During another routine incursion into one of my brothers´ bedroom, I was able to locate and capture the book and, of course, read it after everyone had gone to bed. The realism and cruelty of the story really shook me up. That other one in the pages of the book showed me suffering and isolation in a way I had never seen before. I had never even thought about it. Raw, cruel, miserable reality. No glamour, no sophistication, no mystery. I´m not sure whether I should have read that book, but again, meeting certain books are like meeting certain people: there´s not a right place or time, they just happen. And then we wonder whether we would have grown to be who we are if they hadn´t.
When comparing books and people, I can´t help but think of one of the greatest times I had in my life from reading a book. That was when I shared The Mists of Avalon with my grandfather.
Edmundo Carvalho Cardoso, a retired civil servant, was one of the most interesting people I´ve ever met. Conversations and discussions with him were always very exciting.
One day, grandpa told me he was reading The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley, and that he was very impressed by the way the author approached the Arthurian legends. As the Portuguese translation was a series of four books, he said he was going to lend me them as he finished reading each book, so we could discuss them. Among all the people surrounding my grandfather, he had chosen me to be his reading partner. I was in Heaven! As our reading advanced, we shared our impressions about the story. Grandfather told me about the Arthurian legends he had heard since childhood, and about his great interest in the stories of the British Isles. Some time ago, a distant cousin told me my grandfather´s name, Edmundo, had been chosen by our great grandfather after the character Edmond Dantes in The Count of Monte Cristo. That was when I, in my late thirties, read for the first time what is today considered juvenile fiction. I was certainly searching for a part of my beloved grandfather in those pages. Unexpectedly, I also found Papillon in Dantes.
Time and duty occupy a minor position in this huge web of meaning that reading represents to me. It does not really matter if I should read or should have read a certain book or author that the academic world considers of extreme importance. The essential factor of being a reader to me is how much of myself I´ll find or discover in what I read. The more I feel connected with my surroundings, the greater will be this universe I carry within myself. It´s a two-way road. And because of that, I´ll be able to promote returns, rescues, transformations, and reconciliations in my life.
In Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Strange manages to get into a mirror and in it he finds countless ways connected by bridges, all of them leading to the magical world, where time and space are relative. My bridges don´t have a certain time or a place to be built. In fact some of them are halfway done already, I just have to finish them. The important is to be sure that they are and will always be crossed by my desires, dreams, anxieties, questions, aspirations and memories. You know, those things.

4 comments:

Vincent said...

A worthy continuation of Part I, and very satisfying for the reader - your present readers as well as the prepubescent Luciana.

I would not have used that word prepubescent had I not been reading Nabokov's Lolita - a book in which delight and damnation are inextricably mixed.

I ask myself if I could write my own history of "those things" through books, as you are doing. I couldn't.

The wonder of blogging is how it gently draws us into revealing what we want to reveal in our own natural style, in snippets that could hardly be published any other way.

A friend yesterday was asking me what I thought of self-publishing. I said it seemed to carry a stigma within the book trade.

What is blogging but self-publishing? What a privilege it is to be your reader!

Luciana said...

Thank you, Vincent! I agree with you, self-publishing brings a stigma, and blogging is a way to publish and even to reach a wider audience that can lead you to publish in paper.
I´m not sure if what I do here is blogging, though.Honestly.
The thing is, I need to write, and I feel more comfortable writing in English, although it is not even my mother tongue. I don´t worry very much about grammar and structures. I´d go insane if I did. And I write about myself, and what I think and feel about the things in the world. And I´m very thankful I have found good friends, you being one of them, who read what I write and take your time to comment, and so we end up having a conversation. If that´s blogging, then I love blogging and I think it is one of the most wonderful experiences in the world!

Rebb said...

Lu, Reading about your experiences is engrossing.

“The essential factor of being a reader to me is how much of myself I´ll find or discover in what I read. The more I feel connected with my surroundings, the greater will be this universe I carry within myself. It´s a two-way road. And because of that, I´ll be able to promote returns, rescues, transformations, and reconciliations in my life.”

This speaks to me, Lu. The way you have described this is just beautiful—and your closing paragraph too. I don’t recall reading this second part on Red Room, but I remember when you wrote a blog on reading and I shared my experience of being a frustrated young reader and throwing my book against the wall. I remember your kindness and understanding. It was like entering into a book and being able to discover and share a little part of me that I had forgotten.

I feel similar to you about “blogging.” I too “need to write.”

Thank you for sharing “Those Things.” I could easily continue reading.

Luciana said...

Rebb! I remember that. Reading is such a personal experience! You know, I used to leave scary books or books that were touching me too deeply with their covers facing the bedside table before going to sleep.Can you believe my son does the same? I asked him why he did that, so that I could have an answer for my own past, and he said: I don´t know, mom, it´s just I don´t trust that book too much, it´s like it has a mind of its own... ;-) I think he´s right.