Friday, August 20, 2010

Those Things - Part I

This is an article I wrote for a book about "life stories and books", a friend (www.maluvargas.com) and I edited some time ago. This is actually the translation I made and it was posted at Redroom before. Since I´m among friends, I´ll post it here, too:

Those things

“You´re past the age of suffering
for those things.”

Oh, so there´s a right age to suffer or not to suffer any longer for those, those things?

Things should only happen to make us suffer at the right age of suffering?

Or we shouldn´t suffer for things that make us suffer because they came in late, and this is a quiet time ?

And if I´m past the age of suffering, is it because I´m dead, and dead is the age of not feeling things, those things?
Carlos Drummond de Andrade Those Things (my translation)

I learned to read when I was five years old. My earliest memories are being read at and having around me storybooks, comic books, and a record player, where I could listen to recorded stories. I´m the youngest child of three, and the only girl. My parents and my brothers , who were teenagers when I was a little kid, were always trying to find things to keep me entertained in my own company: I was also the only little kid in the neighborhood . Oddly enough, I never felt lonely. My maternal grandfather, Edmundo, was also a regular in our house. He would come in with a pack of candy and a comic book, just for me – with sugar and love.
Despite being given the appropriate reading material for my age, I was often drawn to what wasn´t so obviously available to me, what was in other people´s shelves or drawers: my brothers´, more specifically.
I don´t remember which was the first book I read that I wasn´t supposed to, or it wasn´t expected of me to be interested in, but I do remember the time I found Tarzan. That was my father´s ‘fault’
Mozart Lhullier was born in the Lhullier family´s Summer house in Pelotas, Southern Brazil, in 1925. My grandfather Alfredo was a businessman, and my grandmother Antonia, just like every other well-to-do woman in the beginning of the twentieth century, was a housewife. The fondest memories my father has ever mentioned were feeling the freedom of the countryside and his mother´s cheerfulness. From his childhood, he always felt that the only way to be himself was to be close to what formed his essence: trees, animals and streams. Thousands of stories about adventures in faraway lands as well as in our own backyard were part of my childhood . Thanks to my father, for years I believed there was a wild cat behind a leafy bush in our country home. A black jaguar or onça, as we say in Brazil, would guard our kitchen at night, and an albino gorilla would come to my rescue if I ever needed some help with my conflicts at school. Maybe those were the reasons why, when my mother passed away, and I was 7 years old, I turned to a book I found in my brothers´ bedroom: Tarzan of the Apes. The possibility of affection within a seemingly hostile environment was an idea that attracted me very much. Edgar Rice Burroughs, with his adventure story of an orphaned boy raised by apes, and that boy growing up to be strong and confident, provided me with the consolation I needed at that time…
But of course there was also Pollyanna which my oldest cousin highly recommended to me. I used to observe her reading it and found it the coolest thing when she sighed and sometimes cried because of the story. My top goals then , at that time, became the possibility of meeting a wild cat , and also reading Pollyanna and shedding some tears. I never met a wild cat in our backyard, and I confess that Pollyanna irritated me to the point that I wanted her to die. I didn´t shed a single tear, but somehow I saw a little bit of myself there, and it made me think, despite being so young, that I would have to be in charge of my own life from then on. Maybe there I learned my first big lesson from reading : that other one I meet in the pages of books is also a part of myself.
TO BE CONTINUED.

6 comments:

Vincent said...

I'm very glad you did post it here, Luciana, such a fine lucid piece of writing, that creates a coherent picture so that we feel we are meeting the complete person, even though all that's described is a few details relating to reading, and the circumstances of that reading.

I like the quote from de Andrade too, arguing with a statement that makes perfect sense to me: "You're past the age of suffering for those things." I see myself arguing with things that make perfect sense, just like him.

But I do feel I'm past the age of suffering for those things. Some of them, at any rate. And then I am not sure what being "past the age of suffering for those things" actually means.

So I argue with nothing here, just say thanks for your essay.

Luciana said...

Thank you,Vincent!
Drummond meant passionate love, as he himself admitted when he talked about the poem, but I expanded that to other feelings when I used it in the essay. I just posted the second part and I think it becomes clear.

Rebb said...

Lu, This is so lovely. There is an innocence to it that is wrapped around wisdom and strength. What a wonderful environment for a child to grow up in. You clearly had much love around you—it’s no wonder you did not feel lonely. I also appreciate your curiosity and wanting to seek out other reading material. And such rich stories. Thank you for sharing/re-sharing. :)

keiko amano said...

Lu,

I thought it interesting that because you had two older bothers, you read Tarzan. I tried to read Treasure Islands, and maybe I did read it, but I couldn't be truly interested in the story because of pirates.

About cougar and gorilla, your grandfather tried to entertain you, is that right? But, Brazil has huge jungles. Do you have some exotic animals, insects, and so on living near you?

Luciana said...

Thank you, Rebb! I´m still very curious, just that I learned to keep that in a controlled level. I don´t break into people´s bedrooms anymore to steal their books.;-)
I remember many stories of that kind.They were therapeutic.

Luciana said...

Huuum, Keiko, let me think. I guess I´d have read Tarzan anyway, only that it was more available to me because of my father and brothers. I love adventure stories and, among other themes, I love the traditional hero thing, you know: an individual leaving home, overcoming obstacles and finding his/her place in the sun. The wildness in Tarzan appealed a lot to me. I didn´t want to conform. I wanted to scream out loud how angry I was that my mother had been taken away. I didn´t want to play the helpless orphan.
I loved Treasure Island as well, and honestly, that young boy, Jim, listening to the pirates tell stories...wow! We each have our tastes and what we like depends a lot on who we are. I needed to be as far away as possible from what I had around me at that moment, but I could not lose myself in the journey.The safest way to do it I guess,was to explore my own self through metaphors.And that´s what I did, instinctively.
As for the animals, I´m not sure about what you´d call exotic. They are not exotic for me, since I´m used to them. You know,throughout Brazil, stories with felines are much more common than the ones with wolves, for instance. We have wolves, but the real "scary beast" would be the 'Onça'(jaguar). In the stories, the Onça outsmarts the prey, instead of using brutal force, what makes it very dangerous. To have an 'Onça' guarding your home, which was what my dad made up for us, would mean that you´ve gained the trust and the loyalty of a very intelligent and powerful animal.