Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Why the Ocean...

Sophia Andresen, in one of her poems, addresses the sea with this line: You are a mystery, made only for me (És um mistério feito só para mim). Every time I get a chance to contemplate the ocean, I get the same feeling: I know nothing. Whenever the cold southern waves invite me into their waters, I follow them in a mixture of curiosity and caution: I never know what they might have reserved for me. I love the magnetic , though many times dangerous, freedom of being one with the sea. When my feet change from sand to water, I usually complain about the cold, but welcome the touch. I love to watch the waves come and go and I´m always curious about what the high tide might bring to shore. Some months ago, when I was visiting my hometown, after two days of strong winds and turbulent waters, there were two dead sea turtles and a dead sea lion, besides hundreds of seashells on the sand, brought by the storm. Some years ago, the Southern Atlantic tide brought a shipwreck to Cassino Beach. That´s the cycle of life.
We all have our ways of connecting with Nature, whether we´re aware of them or not. Some people see nature as a mother, some as an enemy, and some others as a slave. I see nature within myself. I have my mountains, my oceans, my trees, my high and low tides, my tempests, my hurricanes, my sunny days but, most importantly, I have that mixed feeling of uncertainty and curiosity about life that makes me appreciate every single experience, as if it had been brought by the waves.


6 comments:

keiko amano said...

Hi Luciana,

That's a great shipwreck photo. Dynamic and old. Yep, I also have all those qualities in me as you mentioned for yourself. But you already know that. It's great to be here. I hope more people join us here.

I forgot about it, but I also have an account here. http://keiko-booksandtalksfromlosangeles.blogspot.com/ I'll post it again in near future, but maybe, I should change the name. I have no idea why the name ended up to be so long. I guess I didn't know what I was doing. But I hope you enjoy my photos.

Luciana said...

I visited that blog, Keiko! It´s a theater workshop, right? Oh, you should reactivate it. I promise I´ll visit you! :-)

Rebb said...

Hi Lu, I feel the same, and you've described this so beautifully! I feel the waves.

Keiko, It appears you have several blogs on your page. That will be great to have one more spot to read you.

Luciana said...

This is getting great! :-)

marypwilkinson said...

Love your page Lu! You have sparked me into action to set up my own blog too. Talk soon, Mares p.s. you were right about the queues in NY - all I can say is MY GAWD!

Luciana said...

:-D so nice to have you back!