Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Universe Within

Here´s another one, fellow blogger Vincent :-)

Poem Da Minha Aldeia (From My Village) by Fernando Pessoa under his heteronomy Alberto Caieiro., from the collection of poems O Guardador de Rebanhos (The herd keeper).

From my village I see the universe.
That´s why my village is as big as any other one
Because I am the size of what I see
And not the size of my height.

In the cities life is smaller
than it is here in my house on the hill.
In the city big houses block our view
hide the horizon, push our eyes away from the sky,
make us small, because they take away from us what our eyes can give us
and impoverish us, because our only wealth is what we see.

From my village I see the universe
That´s why my village is as big as any other one
Because I am the size of what I see
And not the size of my height.

2 comments:

Vincent said...

Thanks so much, Luciana. I've done a new post in homage to Pessoa, and mentioned you in its first comment.

Vincent said...

And I feel the same way about my village in the valley! It's technically a town, but certainly not a big city. This is where I see the world, just walking the streets or looking our of the window. I want to choose whose experience I trust at second hand.