Thursday, October 8, 2009

"Nothing Human is Alien to Me"

Terence answered to his neighbor, who told him to mind his own business: Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto. - I am a man, nothing human is alien to me. Immigration is always a very curious issue to me. Especially in the Americas. As I write, I keep thinking that I´d simply not exist, as I know myself, had my ancestors been detained at customs. Those were other times,though. At that time, Europe was "exporting" its unwanted or extra people. On my mother´s side, they were new christians ( or, if you wish, forcibily baptised old jews) who had to leave Portugal around the end of the 18th century, and settled in Northeastern Brazil. On my father´s side, my great grandparents, after escaping an arson attack on their house, and having seen everything they built burned down to ashes, decided to come to this promising land in the Southern hemisphere, and were able to make a living here. My great grand father, Jean-Baptiste Lhullier, became the town photographer and even changed his name to Baptista, because he felt Brazilian. Most immigrants leave their homeland because they want to live better, or live. It´s as simple as that. All in all, it can be a matter of perspective whether you spend money and energy on building walls and fences, so people won´t come to ruin your beautiful garden(we know, as members of the human race, where misanthropy can lead us to), or on helping communities, so people don´t need to leave them, and are able to grow their own gardens. Just some thoughts on where I stand in this world... http://bit.ly/yq8ai

2 comments:

Vincent said...

I have never been, but Brazil fascinates me, ever since I saw the film Orfeu Negro in 1962.

I feel I was born as an immigrant or emigrant, I don't know which. My mother emigrated from England to Singapore aged 21. After many losses due to World War 2, she came back to England - with me. I was born in Australia, and England in 1946 seemed unwelcoming and alien, shattered by the war.

I'd take the saying further: no creature is alien to me.

"helping communities, so people don´t need to leave them, and are able to grow their own gardens" is an aim dear to my heart too.

Unknown said...

Vincent, isn´t it fascinating as well how cyberspace is making us think differently about borders, cultures, nationalities etc.?
Many years ago we would never be able to have this conversation. I live in Southern Brazil, close to penguins :-D and you´re in England... and still, we´re able to interact on a daily basis.
I think the way people are interacting in cyberspace has a lot to teach about the way we should really see the world.