Saturday, October 31, 2009

To Live in this World

This was a very intense week. I met wonderful people, and some of them I wish I could keep with me. This is the thing with loving people: they become a part of you and still, you got to let them go... Oh, well. I think that what best describes that feeling is in a poem I love and keep with me ever since I first read it : Mary Oliver´s "In Blackwater Woods" :

To live in this world
you must be able 
to do three things:
to love what is mortal;
to hold it against your bones
knowing your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go;
to let it go.

I got to live in this world. There´s no other one.

8 comments:

Vincent said...

Luciana, we will never meet, but let us be part of one another till we have to let each other go. Part of me wishes you had written that poem. That's the part that forgets we are all part of one another anyhow.

Rebb said...

This is beautiful, Lu. It also speaks to me in this moment of the impermanence of the flesh and blood, yet with words and memories, we do let go, but never forget--and we continue to live.

Vincent, what you said is also very touching.

jiturajgor said...

This is a beautiful poem Luciana.
How strange that people could be attached with each other with the string of fragile words!
jitu

Luciana said...

Vincent, this is really beautiful! And true. Our existence is made of the encounters and connections we have. The other we meet reminds us that we are alive. :-)

Luciana said...

Rebb and Dr. J, this is the link to the whole poem: http://bit.ly/zTmEY
It´s a great example of how powerful words can be sometimes. By communicating with what we have at the bottom of our hearts, they light up our paths.
Did I mention how great it is to meet you here as well? :-)

Luciana said...

I just realize it doesn´t link from the comments section...
Here´s the real link, that you can copy and paste:
http://www.panhala.net/Archive/In_Blackwater_Woods.html

Bianca Rossato said...

Wow...it certainly was an intense week.. and I tottaly agree with you, Lu! ;P I felt like having to let go close friends...

Luciana said...

There you are! Welcome aboard, Bi!