Monday, April 26, 2010

Meet Daphne

She´s the very first draft of an idea that has been going on in my mind for some time, so I´m fully aware she´s very imperfect and primitive. And if you call her Medusa, I´ll send virtual Furies after you ;-)
Daphne doesn´t like getting old, therefore any kind of death, be it actual or symbolical, frightens her. Loving Phoebus means she´ll have to leave a lot of her 'ninph' self  behind, and there´s the risk he won´t be with her forever. So, becoming a tree seems like an alternative - at first, and at a price.
I obviously based myself on the Greek myth of Apollo and Daphne, but I want to show my idea of what/who Daphne and Phoebus could be.

Here´s a beautiful poem called 'Daphne' by Faye George





6 comments:

Rebb said...

Lu, Daphne is beautiful--an elemental--a kindred spirit. You drew her, yes? I am so glad you picked up your drawing and have shared her. She is gentle and kind.

I love the poem you shared. It most definitely speaks to me also, especially about self-doubt and embracing ourselves. Your blog is filled with such heart. Lovely.

jiturajgor said...

I like this poem.And yes, I like Rebb's comment too.Thanks for introducing.

keiko amano said...

Lu,

What a wild hairdo you gave to Daphne! It's gorgeous. It's interesting that she has self-doubt. She is like a human. I like that story. I wonder what she thought of Appolo. Did they get along well? Appolo is male, right? Japanese Sun god is Amaterasuoomikami, and she is female.

Luciana said...

Yes, Rebb, I drew her. This is how I imagine her to be at some point. That poem got me thinking a lot about the myth and what it can represent nowadays. I think Daphne and Apollo can be seen as a contemporary story in many ways.

Luciana said...

Dr J and Keiko, This is a version of the myth:
I love this story since I was a child, but I´ve been thinking about it in a different way lately. The first line of Faye George´s poem says it all, in my opinion: 'unsure of her own nature...' Many women, especially in the west, are unsure of their own nature nowadays.They´re afraid of life because it paradoxically also brings death (like the Sun.

Luciana said...

Where did that link go? I hope it shows this time:

http://www.dl.ket.org/latin1/mythology/3fables/love/daphne.htm