Thursday, December 31, 2009

Aldo, Luciana, and the Cathedral

Italian painter Aldo Locatelli left Italy in 1948, invited by Dom Antônio Zattera, bishop of Pelotas, in Southern Brazil, to paint the frescos of the São Francisco de Paula Cathedral. The result is what you see in the photos. I love the place where I was baptized, but more than it representing my belonging in any sort of religion - I don´t worship, I live - it is a place of calm and tranquility, where I sometimes like to be, when I go back to "the initial shores of my life", as in Sophia Andresen´s poem.

This is the Brazilian map where I circled (ok, it´s not a circle) Pelotas: 



Pictures from the interior of the Cathedral:




















 

 

 




6 comments:

jiturajgor said...

Thank you Luciana for posting pictures of cathedral and fascinating frescoes.It is great and happiest thing to know that you were baptized here.

keiko amano said...

Luciana,

Wow! Cathedrals are all beautiful, but this one is just magnificent. The colors are so romantic and feminine. I’m sure it commands your total spiritual attention, and in return, it elevates your spirit. I feel that from here through photos.

Luciana said...

Dr.J and Keiko, glad you like it! I´m usually very influenced by the environment, and this Cathedral brings memories. :-)
What are the buildings you usually go to when you want peace?

Rebb said...

Absolutely breathtaking, Lu. Thanks for sharing the beauty of where you were baptized.

I haven't been in many cathedrals, but what I recall enjoying very much were the beautiful stained glass windows.

Bianca Rossato said...

as Rebb said...breathtaking...that's the word..I've always enjoyed visiting cathedrals and I feel sorry we don't have one like that here in PF...it is an inspiring sort of art..the painting...

Luciana said...

Hi Rebb and Bianca,
Yes, Cathedrals are works of art. It´s interesting, because they are supposed to represent a religion that somehow puts art in a second or third place due to art´s deep connection with our inner nature.;-) But then - and because we cannot escape nature- when I get into a Cathedral I feel like I´m getting into a cave full of wall paintings - it connects me with my innermost feelings...
Life is so ironic, isn´t it?