Friday, October 16, 2009

The Sword God



One of the most beautiful stories I´ve heard from Yoruba ( West African) mythology is related to the deity Ogun, the fierce warrior. Those stories were brought here by the people from African nations that the Portuguese, and later the Brazilians, enslaved and shipped to Brazil to work in nothing less than building the country from the 16th to the 19th century. Besides owing Africa a lot of what we have today, we also owe it a big part of the Brazilian soul.
It goes like this: After fighting many battles and spending many years away from home, Ogun decided to go back to the city of Irê, where his son ruled. When he arrived, he addressed the people and expected to be celebrated, but no one talked to him. People looked at him, but did not seem excited. He would talk to them, but they would not answer. Ogun is not very patient and, without trying to investigate what was wrong with his son´s subjects, became enraged and started cutting off the head of whoever came in his way. That´s when his son comes and offers him his (Ogun´s) favorite food and drink. His son reminded him that it was a sacred day and people were forbidden to speak and cheer by orders of the great Ogun, himself. Ogun then remebered that, and was ashamed of what he had done . I´ve lived enough, he said. He then put the tip of his sword on the ground, and went down into earth with a thunderous sound. From that day on, he became an orixá, an owner of head.
Yoruba is also a religion ( Candomblé and Umbanda in Brazil) and I suspect that this close relationship between the stories and the worship of deities is what prevents its ancient mythology from becoming more popular.
I´m not a follower of any religion. I usually say that I am culturally Catholic, because it is the dominat religion among the groups I was raised with, but I have a great interest in all religions. More than the rituals of Catholicism or even Candomblé, I´ve always found the stories fascinating. Their symbols and metaphors contain valuable teachings about every day life that are usually missed when people are too worried about miracles or sins.
Everytime I remember Ogun´s story, I smile and think that even the most powerful ones make mistakes and learn a lesson one day. Never take yourself too seriously. It´s very dangerous.

5 comments:

Rebb said...

Luciana, I really enjoyed this story. I also relate to you in that I consider myself culturally catholic for the same reasons and have always tried learn a little something about as many different religions, philosophies, ways of life—as many perspectives as possible. And I love the stories for what they have to teach and how they enrich us.

I really appreciate your closing on never taking ourselves too seriously. Another thing that comes to mind for me at this particular time that I take from this story is also that if you are away for so long, take the time to understand, before acting—be reminded of your place and how long you’ve been away before reacting. I was touched by his son’s offering and reminder to his father.


From that day on, he became an orixá, an owner of head. What is meant by owner of head?

Luciana said...

Hi Rebb, it means he is set to influence and protect his followers (or daughters and sons as they´re called in Afro-Brazilian cults).
What I really think is interesting in those stories is that the Gods usually become Orixás (are elevated to a higher category) through some form of realization about themselves. The image of Ogun planting his sword on the ground means to me that he finally understood what his place was - in a more divine realm, along with the elements (right within the context of the West African religions and views of life). Also, I love the way the stories are told:showing Gods making mistakes and learning from them.It rings truer to my heart.

Rebb said...

Thanks for explaining, Lu. And your further sharing of the stories and their reaching some form of realization; of Ogun finally understanding his place; and of how these stories further show Gods making mistakes and learning from them is beautiful. Thank you for introducing me to this story and bringing it to life.

Luciana said...

You´re most welcome, Rebb! I appreciate your comments and views very much!

keiko amano said...

"Never take yourself too seriously. It´s very dangerous." Amen!

I've posted my comment on the last blog. Please let Vincent know. I'm sorry for delay. I'm slow in Japan.

Rebb,

I promised you a comedy, but the story needs more thought. It's only funny to me perhaps. I don't know when I get to it. I'm chicken and I don't want to possibly offend anyone.